Thursday 1 November 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey

Purely because everybody has been raving about this book, I just had to read it to see what all the fuss was about. I must say, despite the fact that I found the writing to be slightly juvenile, I enjoyed it. Why? Duh. Christian Grey.

 In the fantasy world, I find Christian's character to be undeniably sexy, however, in reality, if a man tried to control everything I did, I would probably laugh in his face and throw him through a window. I give EL James serious kudos for being able to make Christian's character so likeable and- even more amazingly- irresistible. Anastasia's character, on the other hand, was a little bit less endearing. Her awkwardness got really old, really fast and she began to annoy me pretty early on in the book. She is a little bit too pathetic and naive to be entirely 'relatable'. Her childlike thoughts and qualities put a dampener on the 'boiling over sex pot' that is Christian Grey. Despite this though, the dynamics of their relationship are still very interesting and,  ultimately, make her character tolerable. Hopefully she becomes a little bit more mature as the trilogy continues.



This is a book that makes it possible for people all around the world to embrace their sexualities and to not feel 'dirty' or 'strange' for exploring- or wanting to explore- the realms of the 'taboo'. I love the freedom that the book allowed me to experience and I cannot wait to read the next two books of the 'Fifty Shades' trilogy. Even if this is not your kind of novel (I must admit, it wasn't mine either), it is a must-read. I have a small feeling that it could become the next 'big thing' and even exceed the popularity of the 'Twilight' series!

Till next time...

B
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment